Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Chatta-Music

Hiya. I have been pleased to go to some local shows and enjoy some pretty dang good music recently. Last week, Lisa, Abby, and I went to see Charles Allison, Reeve Hunter, and Mermaid Police in a red church basement that, at times, smelled like farts.

Here are some pictures to prove it (not the fart part). It was our first time to see Reeve perform and we thoroughly enjoyed it--this dude is krazy creative and quirky fun. Here is a picture of Reeve and an mp3 of one of my fave songs of the night:

"The Rummage" Mp3
Some of my other recent local faves are the good guys from The Heroes are Horses and Christmas Fiddle (guy singular).
Check out their music here:
The Heroes are Horses
Christmas Fiddle

Below: Christmas Fiddle is spoilt by choice at the new Greenlife:

Lastly, a few weeks ago I got to see a kooky fun band called How I Became the Bomb from not-far-away Murfreesboro, TN.
Their show was fantastic--tight, spiffy music full of energy and fun. Lots of synthesizers- and a synth player decked out in baggy seersucker pants and a pastel jacket who entertained us with near flips and multiple jumps while performing. The bass player had on a slick black Members Only jacket. Nuff said. Here is a groovy foto of above described synth player, followed by an Mp3 by the band. Be sure to also check out the songs "Robo" and "Secret Identity" on the above linked Myspace page.

Killing Machine Mp3
******************************************
I'm still pretty short on time and unable to write anything really substantial. But please do stay tuned. I have a few comments, soon to be made, on No Country For Old Men, Flannery O'Connor, and Friedrich Nietzsche . And the once promised, never-written, post on the rebirth of religious imagination in indie music IS coming at some point, although I have forgotten most of what I wanted to say in the first place.

No comments: